Tuesday, August 14, 2007

taking the plunge

So, I have a board meeting tonight at the adoption center, and I've made a pact with Therese (my oldest and dearest friend, I've known her since I was 14) to go to the WAC. So tonight will count as my first official work out. I doubt I'll have time to go swimming, which is a bummer. But I've been trained on everything and it's just a matter of going.

I have decided that my workouts need to be at night. When I joined the Y a couple years back I was going at 5:30 am. And the thing is, for about 3 or 4 months it went great. But I burned out. I know I can't keep up that pace. This way I can go home, relax, and Therese (who's a night owl herself) and I can meet at the WAC. I just know, after my last experience, that the early morning is not the right time. And I'm sure that having a workout buddy will help.

I also decided that on my way home from the WAC I am going to get groceries. I've been eating all wrong for the last several weeks and it has to stop. What's the point of working out if I'm eating crap? This morning, for instance, I ate donuts for breakfast. I love donuts. But they're crap and I know they're crap.

See, I KNOW how to eat right. I've done my research, I've read copious books and articles, I've gone to see doctors, therapists, hypnotists and dieticians, I've joined numerous weight loss groups. I've been struggling for as long as I can remember. I get it! I just don't DO it. My 2 friends here at work have lost a ton of weight on Weight Watchers. Claudia, my friend and Green Acres volunteer, has lost (or in 12 step speak, released) a lot and they all look so good. I know that of them all, Weight Watchers is the one that works. I'm not ready for it yet.

I made a list of all the programs I've tried. It's actually comical. Probably to outsiders it's sad, but I find it amusing. The part that's not amusing is that I wish I had all the money I've invested over the years back.

Here's everything I've attempted to do from the time I was probably 10 or 11:

Counting calories (grade school, high school)
Diet Workshop (college)
Diet Workshop (directly out of college…twice)
Nutrisystem
Weight Watchers
WW online
Ediets
South Beach
Picture Perfect weight loss
Overeaters Anonymous/WOW
Susan Powter
Dr. Phil
Spaghetti every night (this was my own plan)
YMCA
Hypnosis

This doesn't list how many times I've stopped and started. It's just the variations on the theme of weight loss that has dictated a huge part of my life.

I'll post how my workout goes...

No comments: