Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Bye WAC

Hey Amigos,

Well, I did it. I swallowed my pride and called up the Wisconsin Athletic Club and cancelled my membership.

It's strange how hard that was for me to do. I'm sad about it. It took me forever to make up my mind, and after I made my mind up to do it, it took me a couple additional days to actually do it.

Those feelings are being overshadowed now by a feeling of relief. I really couldn't afford it, amigos. Or, I just couldn't justify paying for it anymore. I used the WAC a ton, but when I experienced my knee injury last year there was precious little I could do other than swim (doctor's orders). Then came the surgery, and another set back. That was months away from the gym.

Ironically I think I actually injured myself at the WAC. Prior to that? No knee pain. Several months of workouts there? Knee pain.

Anyway, I started to get back into the groove of it mid to late last year. Hired a personal trainer, all that. But then all hell started breaking loose in the financial area, and the next thing I knew I was struggling to make it from paycheck to paycheck. It's never been a walk in the park, but it's also never been impossible.

It didn't affect my trips to the WAC, I kept up a couple visits a week. But then I started thinking, is what I'm paying really worth it for just a couple trips a week? I could have gone more I suppose, but I was doing so many other things. Things I legitimately want to do! Volunteering, walking my dogs, spending more time with my family.

I realize that exercise is key to weight loss. I'm living proof. I wouldn't be anywhere near what I've lost now if I didn't move as much as I do. But what I've been enjoying is walking. I walk on breaks at work. I walk my dogs around the neighborhood. I walk the mall after my WW meeting.

So, after much thought, I decided I'm just not cut out monetarily to be a member there. Actually, my first year there was a gift from my mother to begin with, bless her. And I do believe I got my money's worth. But right now I need the money.

I took a sacrifice on my Netflix as well and dropped down to the bare bones subscription. I figured that was a no-brainer considering I've had the same 2 movies at my house for a month and a half. When I do have the time to watch them, I don't FEEL like watching them!

It's a start.

I wish I was strong enough to get rid of some other things. Cable TV for instance. Land-line telephone. Prescriptions. But rather than chop something else out of my budget right away, I'm going to let this take effect.

I can get rid of cable. I've done it before. It's not that big of a deal. I think the problem is I've gotten hooked to DVR.

Anyway, no more gym for me amigos. I'll just be hoofin it from now on, I guess. My dogs will thank me.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Actually, I think if it's a relief for you all the better. I don't want to pay those places for the exercise I actually can get at home. I have a treadmill, I have a bicycle, I have a weight set, etc. I am no more motivated to do anything joining someplace honestly and I've already joined and pretty much threw the money away. It's all in movtivation and doing what you like doing best and mine is actually biking around. I hear ya about giving up things, so far it's been cable, quite a while ago in fact, I have the slower internet because I'll be dipped if I will pay more, right now it's 29.00 a month and I can live with it. Also gave up my landline at least a year ago... no biggie to me now that I have a better phone and have good reception. One of my bigger faults is buying too much for my Grandkids!! Oh well, that's pure enjoyment for me....;) Hey, I think you will do great if you keep up your walking, it's the best total exercise out there!!