Thursday, December 11, 2008

Big changes!

Hey Amigos!

Today's a big day for me. I fit into a pair of pants whose size starts with a 1. Can't remember the last time I did that! They're a wee bit tight, and when I sit down I do have a little roll of fat hanging over, but you really can't tell. No less than 5 coworkers mentioned my weight loss today, which, while making me somewhat self conscious, also perks my spirits up to no end!

On to other news, something amazing happened last week. But let me 'splain first. In July I had a physical. I was expecting everything to turn out normally, and for the most part it did, but my cholesterol was a bit alarming. At 219 it was higher than I imagined, considering I'd been on WW since February.

Now I can't say this for sure, but I had this sneaking suspicion that my predilection for WW frozen dinners may have been part of the problem. I was just eating too many of them. So when the doc told me he wanted me to come back in a few months to have my cholesterol checked again, I decided to make a few changes, the first of which was NO MORE FROZEN DINNERS. Not WW, not Lean Cuisine, not Budget Gourmet.

I honestly didn't change a whole lot else. I will admit that I partook of the frozen dinners more frequently than I am sure is recommended, so I'm not blaming WW. It was just my penchant to eat them if I had the points, and sometimes maybe that meant eating more than one a day. Probably not a good idea.

Anyway, I went back last week for my blood test. I'd been eating very well and getting exercise and I assumed that I'd been able to lower it moderately. Well, nothing could have prepared me for what my new number was.

My total cholesterol is now 191!!!! 28 points in 5 months! I should write a book! I mean, you see these folks in commercials, and they're saying "I lowered my cholesterol 5 points" and this and that, and I say "In your face suckers! Let's see you beat 28!"

I was absolutely floored. I printed off both test results (I can access my records online) and compared them side by side and sat there slack-jawed. Then one of my students (who happens to be a laboratory science major) came in and I showed her. Then I got on the phone and called a friend and told him. Then I called another friend and told him. Then I called my brother.

I'm amazed at what a small change can do. I'm amazed at the influence I can have over my own body and health. I did it all by myself! No pills, no restricted diet, nothing. Just pure Marginwalker power.

So, if you need to lower your cholesterol, screw what you seen on TV and come talk to me.

A small consulting fee will apply.

1 comment:

Mary said...

LOL!! And what will that charge be my dear??;) That is AWESOME! It must just make you feel healthier mentally just knowing the insides are doing so much better! It's not like I'm your mother or anything.... but I'm way proud of you!;)