Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Just hang up and pee

Hola Amigos,

This post has been brewing for a while, but something finally made me snap my cap. I work at a university, and probably like every university these days, every student has a cell phone that they use CONSTANTLY. You'll see them between classes calling their friends. "Whatcha doing? I just got out of class. Now I'm going to lunch. Where are you?" It's as if the 5 minute walk from classroom to dorm room (and not many of our dorms are much further away than that) is so unbearable that they have to call their little friends to pass the time.

Anyway, I needed to use the restroom and the staff one was occupado so I used the public one. I was finished and in the process of washing my hands (I was in the handicapped stall so I had my own sink) when I heard someone enter, talking. No big deal. Then I realized she was talking ON THE PHONE. In a restroom. And was her conversation anything earth shattering or important that would warrant actually taking a phone with you when you had to answer the call of nature? No, of course not. It boiled down to "That test was hard but I studied" etc. Then she proceeded to go into the stall and USE THE TOILET while talking on the phone. I made a swift exit, thankful that I'd finished my business before she came in there.

I've heard this happens, cell phone conversations in public restrooms while on the toilet, but I've never actually been witness to it, and I must say I'm disgusted. If any of my three readers have done this, please know that I disapprove. I won't pass judgment, and don't take it personally of course, but I think it's pretty gross. And Miss Manners had a few choice words about it herself not long ago, so I'm not alone.

I use public restrooms because I have to, but I never actually liked the idea of someone else having to hear my bodily functions. But it's a necessary evil, isn't it. But now they've brought their friends with them? And how unsanitary is this that you drop your pants and do your business with a phone in your hand? And being at home is one thing, but...in public? Can't I pee in peace when I'm at work?

I'm no prude, but I can probably remember each instance where I've used the bathroom while on the phone and ALL of them occurred at home, I assure you. And probably 99% of those instances were when I was talking to my sister, and she's my sister for pete's sake, we burp and fart around each other regularly. But talking to someone one the phone while crapping just seems rude to the person you're talking to, frankly.

Why couldn't she just shut up for 5 minutes and pee? It's just like the inane conversations I'm subjected to if I'm unlucky enough to be stuck outside when classes change. Conversations between 2 students after class may actually be stimulating, interesting. But calling a friend just to flap your gums and kill time is torturous!

I never dreamed I'd reach the age where I'd say "When I was going here..." but you know, you have to understand, I went to school here and got a job here within months of graduating. It's in my blood. I love this place. But something (or many things?) has happened in the recent past, maybe 5 years, that make me tired.

Just let me say i:. When I was going here and you got out of class, you went to your other class. Or you went home. Or you went to a bar (this was back when the drinking age was 18 and my alma mater had the most bars per capita of any university in the states, and that's a documented fact, not hyperbole). Or you got something to eat. Whatever. And if you were alone you were alone, so what.

Just come here some time when classes are changing and you'll see (and hear) what I'm talking about. In the end I'm not surprised that someone talks on the phone while peeing really, I'm just annoyed.

Directly after I left the restroom I ran into a coworker and mentioned it to him and he told me that the same thing happens in the men's room, but that what's worse is people eating there.

Eating???

No comments: