Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Noooo, I'm not embarrassed at all!

Hola amigos,

I just had someone complain about my perfume. To me and then to my boss. So, yeah, I'd like to crawl into a hole and die right about now.

I'm NOT a big perfume person. I don't wear it often, but when I do it's the good stuff. The one I'm wearing right now is Hermes, that's about $70/bottle; my sister gave it to me for Christmas a couple years ago. I've worn it before. The person who complained has complimented me on it before.

I realized she has a sensitivity to the cologne one of our coworkers wears (it's horrible aftershave), but didn't think that applied across the board. Obviously it did, but she didn't mention it at the time (her words). So now here I am like a schmuck sitting and stinking, and she's gone into another room to work for the day.

I offered to go home and wash it off, especially since I live VERY close and we have a department meeting today at we'll all be sitting near each other, but she said she didn't think that was necessary.

I don't fault her, I'm not mad at her, I'm not even saying that I didn't wear too much perfume, maybe I did (and I put on some body lotion too), but it could have been prevented, I never would have worn it at all, if she had just told me in the first place.

I can be very emotional sometimes and cry easily, at some things. I'm just embarrassed is all. Honestly, I'm not mad at her or anything, she's just being honest, and I have to give her credit because a lot of people wouldn't say anyting at all, which is probably worse! But it's embarrassing. And I just really wish she'd been clear about it the first time because I never would have worn it today.

So, there's my embarrassment for the day. I try SO hard not to bother people, I really do. I try. I didn't mean this to happen. I NEVER would have worn it, ever, if I'd thought it would cause any trouble. And I'm sure to her it seems that I've glossed over her issues (i.e., ignored what she'd told me about my other coworker's cologne). I know her quite well, I have no doubt that's what she's thinking. But that was NOT my intention.

How would you like to know you were responsible for driving someone from a room? It's not fun, I guarantee. And to think I only wear perfume like once or twice a month. Yargh. And now all I can think about is that I can smell it myself...and what are other people thinking? And have I done this before? And if you knew the other people in the room, you'd realize why I'm mortified...God, don't even get me started on the other people in the room. That's a whole other level of hell.

Can I just crawl into a hole and die now?

Actually, I'm just going to slink into the bathroom and wash now. Then crawl into a hole.

No comments: