Monday, December 3, 2007

He Wha????

Would someone PLEASE explain to me how and why Don Imus is back on the air??? Who is listening to this?

I had an MRI this morning. It's rather loud so they gave me the option of listening to the radio via headphones. The technician said "You can listen to anything on the dial from 93.3 on up." So I said, "Oh, that's OK, I never listen beyond 91.7." So she said "What about smooth jazz? That's the most popular."

I'm sure the look on my face was precious. A cross between horror and contempt. Smooth jazz my ass. Smooth crap is more like it. Yeah, I'm a snob when it comes to jazz. I like my jazz nice and dirty. So I told her that I'd rather not listen to that. Then she suggested Christmas music. I'm sure the look on my face was equally precious. A cross between horror, contempt and hatred.

See, I listen to 3 radio stations: 88.9 WYMS (independent), 89.7 WUWM (National Public Radio) and 91.7 WMSE (independent station run out of Milwaukee School of Engineering). I hate "drive time" radio. I hate hearing DJs blather on and laugh hysterically at their own stupid jokes. I hate listening to people calling in. HATE it.

I won't lie, I shuffle up and down the dial occasionally if I get bored in the car, especially since the controls are right there on the steering wheel. But see, the classic rock stations eventually play the same stuff over and over. I've heard it all. I heard it before it was classic. I like some R & B but not much. I can't stand pop. And everything is just loaded with commercials. So in the car I either listen to my top 3 stations or I plug in my iPod.

I'm not being uppity about it either. I don't have a superiority complex or anything regarding radio. But seriously, I would have lost my mind if I'd listened to smooth jazz or Christmas music.

Thankfully the signal from WUWM was nice and strong so I got to listen to that. It didn't matter to me that it was the part of the news I'd already heard at home. It made me much more comfortable. I was happy.

But that doesn't answer my original question, which is, WTF is Don Imus doing with another job????? Who, WHO is listening to him???

No comments: