Thursday, September 6, 2007

Something that REALLY makes me mad

This is a major, major pet peeve of mine, and I figured it's about time that I wrote about it.

Allow me to preface this by saying that I'm not an angry person. I'm anything but. I'm a kind person, and I have an even temper. I go out of my way to make the peace. But...

I really hate it when people assume things about me. Not people that I know. Just people. And not only do they assume things about me, they take it upon themselves to actually TELL me these things, as if somehow they are the final word on what is right for the world, that they know better than I do.

I don't know if my explanation makes sense, so I will illustrate. I have several instances. Here's the first installment. :)

Once several years ago I was walking my dog Winston (may he rest in peace). I live near a gorgeous city park. There are several ways to enter the park. Only one entrance says "No Dogs" but the others are more ambiguous and don't say anything. Needless to say there are lots of dogs walked through this park.

I happened to take Winston to the "No Dogs" entrance and walked in. Yes, I know. It says "No Dogs." And if someone in authority were to ask me to turn around, I wouldn't be happy but I'd do it because I realize that, legally, that's the right thing to do.

But, I know me and I know Winston. I'm a responsible dog owner. I bring copious bags with me (anyone who's walked a dog knows that the poop never ends), my dog was well trained and on a leash. Not to mention that I am a woman, walking alone through a city park. I'm not a damsel in distress, but I have been through enough to know that a woman alone can be victimized. Do I feel just a bit safer with a 70 lb boxer with me? You bet I do.

I also know that in this particular park (and in most of our parks) the "No Dogs" rule is horrendously outdated, and people are usually very responsible about their dogs if they're in that kind of park. In other words, Winston would have been one of about 50 dogs there that day. I'm not saying that makes it right, but I think most people realize that it's not particularly relevant anymore.

I hear behind me a man and his son, on their bikes, having a conversation. I turned and caught a glimpse of them, and I can still be seen from the street, having not entered the park per se, just on the path to get there. The kid says to his dad "Dad, that lady is taking her dog into the park." I hear the squealing of bicycle brakes and an angry male voice yelling "MA'AM!! MA'AM!!" Of course I knew he was talking to me, but I do not respond to someone yelling "Ma'am" at me. I've learned. I've been mooned, flashed, spit on, insulted, all by people who've prefaced their assault with "Ma'am?" or "Excuse me" or "Miss?" You look at them and blammo, they tell you that you have great tits. Gee...thaaaanks. So, of course, I ignore him.

I walked in and that was that.

That's the end of the incident. Why does this piss me off? Numerous reasons.

First of all, this person assumed that I didn't/can't read the sign that said "no dogs." Of course I did. It's right there. I chose, personally, to ignore it. My decision, not his.

Secondly, this person actually chose to confront me (though unsuccessfully) about it. I just think that's ballsy and definitely not my style.

Thirdly, this person was breaking his own little outdated, weird rule. He was riding his bike on the sidewalk. You're not supposed to ride your bike on the sidewalk. Both he and his son shouldn't have been there. But did I say anything? No. Because they're not hurting anyone, they're not getting in my way, and I'm not the kind of person to take it upon myself to enforce something like that. It's not my place.

Fourth, do you really think that if I had been a man that person would have said anything to me? No. Of course not. This was his opportunity to tell a woman what to do. Sure, that sounds ridiculous doesn't it. But ask yourself, honestly...would he yell at a man about walking his dog into the park the way he chose to yell to me?

I don't think so either.

And did he actually think I'd listen, even if I did turn around to talk to him? I imagine he must think quite highly of himself...

No comments: