Friday, September 21, 2007

Vacation

Hola Amigos,

I found out yesterday that my friends who live in Manhattan are DEFINITELY going to London in January. So, what that means is I get to fly to NYC on my frequent flyer miles, stay in Manhattan in their apartment (which is fantastic) , and do whatever I please for 9 days. Historically my sister comes out to see me, but she'll be in India then. Once my friend Adam came out and stayed 4 days with me, and did we have a great time. This time my gentleman friend (see previous post) will be coming to spend the MLK weekend with me. I'm trying to convince my friend Therese to come out at some point too.

She's afraid of NYC (the size, the noise, the people). I keep telling her that I was too, but as soon as I got there for the first time, in 1999, my attitude changed immediately. I've gone to NYC pretty much every year since then, either to apartment sit for my friends, or with my mom and sister to take in Broadway.

I understand why some people fear New York. I used to be one of them. I was afraid of the size, the noise, the crime, the people, everything. Over the years I've come to find that it's not that big (Manhattan is like a mile wide and 5 miles long). The noise isn't that bad, actually. It's never bothered me. There isn't much pollution either.

As far as crime goes, and don't quote me, because I'm not sure if the stats I have are exactly accurate, there were more murders in Milwaukee last year than there were in Manhattan. The population of Manhattan is what...1.5 million? And Milwaukee is half a million and change?

The people are just fine. The only folks who have ever rubbed me the wrong way are cabbies, and I hardly ever take cabs.

What I've found about people in New York is that they don't like having their time wasted and they don't suffer fools. Oh, and don't go there in winter without a black winter coat. I had a red one one year. I didn't notice it right away, but after I while it hit me that wherever I went, everyone's coats were shades of black or dark grey, the occasional silver. I don't normally try to keep up with the Joneses, but this was ridiculous. Once on a subway I was, literally, the only person NOT wearing a black coat. Since I usually like to draw as little attention to myself as possible anyway it was no big deal getting a black coat for my next visit.

New York has so much to offer that I don't think I could ever tire of going there. The museums alone are enough to keep a person busy for days and days. And if you play your cards right you don't even have to pay much for entertainment. For example, did you know that tickets to The People's Court are free? Yes, I attended a taping of The People's Court. If you ever catch it, I'm present at a couple of trials. I'm in the back row wearing a black turtleneck.

Who knows what I'll go see this time!

No comments: