Monday, October 22, 2007

What Does Owen Watch?

Hola Amigos,

I'd been feeling so badly these last few days that I wanted a pick me up (that wasn't food). I've been pretty tight with my money lately seeing as the income from my rental property is gone until I rent the place out again, but I decided I was going to treat myself. I ordered the Criterion Collection Edition of Rushmore last week.

I even paid for one of the fancier shipping options so it would arrive sooner. I hurried home and went to get my mail, and alas, no video. So, my viewing will have to wait until tomorrow (oh PLEASE let it arrive tomorrow!).

You see, Rushmore is one of those movies that renews my faith in mankind. When I watch it I think "I'm lucky to live in a world where people can make something as delightful, as wonderful as this film." I feel that way about the Simpsons, the Marx Brothers, the better Seinfeld episodes, Aqua Teen Hunger Force. The list goes on. But occasionally I need to remind myself.

I don't want to seem so dramatic when I say this, but things like that make life worth living. There are plenty of other things that make life worth living, don't get me wrong. But when I'm feeling poorly, or depressed, and not wanting to do much of anything, how superb it is to have a movie like Rushmore around to pop in the DVD player.

I was thinking about this on the way home today. Owen Wilson co-wrote Rushmore with Wes Anderson. He also attempted suicide a few months ago...and that makes me so sad. I guess even the person who can write something so delightful is not necessarily free of demons.

I could never say I know what he went through, because I don't, but I just wish I could let him now how his work has touched me deeply. Maybe it wouldn't matter to him, who knows. There are so many people who are fans of that movie...and I'm sure he knows that...

Oh, I don't know where this is going really, but I did wonder to myself, does Owen Wilson have something for himself the way I have Rushmore? Is there something he finds so sublime that it gives him hope? I hope so. He's far too talented to lose. Honestly, with all the worthless people out there in show biz, why should we have to worry about losing someone like him???

I will avoid making a bad joke about celebrities I wouldn't mind losing...

Owen, I hope you stick around for a long, long time.

No comments: