Friday, September 19, 2008

.2 lousy %*#$ing pounds away...

I'd say it's been long enough since my last post, wouldn't you?

Things are going not too bad. I did post a loss this week at weigh in, although I missed a significant goal by only .2 lbs! It's my own damned fault though, so I won't complain. I know exactly what I did wrong, and that was go a little fast and loose from weigh in day until Sunday. Nothing horrible, but I wasn't counting my points and that spells disaster. So I reined things in starting Monday, but it obviously was too little and too late.

BUT, I'm already doing better this week. I weighed in last night, and came home and ate sensibly.

Oh, and I've stopped buying frozen novelties altogether. I just can't have them in the house. When they're in the house, all I want to do is eat them, and when they're not I don't even think about them, so that says they've overstayed their welcome in my world. To that I say 'no more.'

And, in a strange twist, I've gone back to the full-sized Orville Redenbacher 94% Fat Free Kettle Corn. That's not going to be a permanent change, but I figure it will make me miss my frozen novelties less. I have an unopened box of 100 calorie bags of OR94%FFKC just waiting to be opened when I'm through.

I've been getting out and walking on campus during my breaks, and that's nice. Every day I walk past the new law school site and I can see progress day by day. I walk past our art museum and through some lovely landscaped areas. It's a nice little haven right in the city and I love it. Honestly, I think the kids who go here are darned lucky. They're not isolated, they are right in the thick of it, and that's one of the things that makes us so unique. I've really been enjoying my walks.

I've got a heck of a weekend coming up, crammed full of things to do. Hopefully I'll be done on Saturday relatively early, because Sunday I've got my 4 hour shift at the adoption center and I'm already dreading it.

I say that every time. And every time it ends up being fine. But it just doesn't make me want to do it any more than it ever did. I think sometimes I just get so tired of the following scenario. Someone comes in, asks all sorts of ridiculous questions, takes up copious amounts of your time, and then leaves. They're not really interested in adopting, they're just killing time essentially, but we have to treat everyone like royalty (I'm not arguing with that...you just never know for sure who you're talking to, and they could turn out to be your biggest benefactor) and it can get tiring when you spend your whole day talking and not getting one application, or one donation.

But, we're not trying to win any contests, and I certainly don't relay my attitude to anyone I talk to. Actually, most people are quite nice. Not bright necessarily, but nice. But, it's tiring. It's 4 hours of my Sunday. It's time away from my dogs and cats when my time with them is precious as it is.

BUT, I won't stop doing it. Complain I will, but I am doing important work and I'd say every shift I spend there I learn something, and someone who visits there learns something. It's the right thing to do. So I will keep doing it.

Anyway, hopefully because I'm having a busy weekend I will stay on track better than last week. I need the structure of being busy for me to not focus on food.

Luckily I've been throwing together some very easy yet tasty recipes that have kept me going. I'm currently working on a crock pot of chili. It's merely 'ok' chili. Actually, when putting it together it just seemed weird. It's 2 cans of hot chili beans, a can of black beans, a jar of salsa, a can of FF refried beans, a packet of taco seasoning and some soy crumbles (instead of ground beef or turkey). I still don't get what the refried beans are doing in there. And where are the tomatoes? Sure, there's the salsa, but you can't even tell it's in there. And the beans sort of disintegrated. And the soy crumbles are sort of lost.

It doesn't suck or anything, but I probably won't be making that again. I've got a better recipe that uses less ingredients, is cheaper, and tastes much better.

I love making stuff in my crockpot. It's amazing the number of easy vegetarian recipes you can make. If you've got a crockpot gathering dust, get it out and dust it off sweeties, because I've got some of the easiest, best recipes ever that I'll be sure to share with you..

Not now, of course. I mean later.

OK, I've rambled plenty. Just wanted to update you on all things me.

1 comment:

Mary said...

You might be .2 pounds away but remember you are ever so close!! Think back... you have done so much!! I think that is TERRIFIC!!! I give you a lot of credit too for taking your time for the adoption thingy, that is a huge committment, but what a wonderful thing to do. I also hate to take time away from my dogs and I'm home alot more... it's just hard! I can see what you mean about having those novelties in the house, believe you me if something is in my house it will be eaten. We had a get together last weekend here and all the sweets leftover had to go... but the problem was I had to eat them! Looking forward to that chili recipe and I will have to check out that pup corn as I call it!!