Monday, September 15, 2008

Focus! FOCUS!

Hey Amigos,

Lots of catching up to do here!

I had a busy, fun weekend. Saturday was the Boxer Bash, an annual fundraiser for Green Acres Boxer Rescue of Wisconsin. I drove up to Green Bay and it rained non-stop, but in spite of that I made very good time (without endangering myself or others, even). Once I got there it was sort of a whirlwind. GABR buddies, if you're reading this, was this bash over and done with before you even realized it? It sure felt that way!!! We did fantastic, it was a great crowd in spite of the rain (bless those boxer lovers, they're a hardy bunch) and I had a ball. And, I'm not schmoozing just because I think they may be reading this, it absolutely did my heart good to see all of my GABR buds. A harder working, nicer more dedicated group of people you're not going to meet.

My eating was OK that day. I did buy some goodies at the bake sale (this is a legendary bake sale that pretty much kick's all other bake sales' asses) that I devoured between GB and home, and felt sort of guilty about it. And I wasn't very serious about counting points since my last meeting.

I think I've gotten into a habit of sort of treating my weigh in day as a freebie (since I don't have to weigh in for another week, that kind of thing) and this time it sort of segued into the weekend ending in a 4 veggie corn-dog fiesta that I had last night.

I've really reined myself in today. I'm doing a modified 'kickstart' thing that WW talks about, where if you feel you need a bit of a boost (and I do) or if you've reached a plateau (and I will) you restrict your points to 20 for a set amount of time (no more than 2 weeks, though I'd never be able to last 2 weeks on 20 pts a day). I figured that I'd do that starting today through Friday, just so I can focus. I feel like I've lost a bit of my focus lately. I haven't done anything out and out horrible, but I've been taking some liberties and I know, I just know, that it's the beginning of major trouble if I don't put a stop to it right now. And I'm notorious for abandoning all hope when I get sick. It's SO hard for me to eat right when I'm sick. When I'm feeling well, I love to eat right. When I'm feeling poorly, I just want to eat something that tastes really good, and I don't care what it is and the quicker I can get to it the better. And I'm just NOT going to let that happen this time, no sir.

So, today I'm prepared. I'm having my same breakfast (Quaker cinnamon spice oatmeal), same lunch (broccoli slaw and fruit) and I've made a HUGE vat of chili that comes out to 3 points per cup, so I could foreseeably have 2 cups of that a night (for the next week...I ain't joking when I say it made a ton) and keep to around 20 points. Now, my WW buddies who may be reading this, don't worry about me. I'm being very sane about it. I just know that I need to get back that mojo that I had in the very beginning. I need to stop taking the program for granted. I need to focus and get serious. AND, I know myself very well, and this is the best way for me to do it.

So again, WW has come up with an incredibly smart way to meet the needs of someone like me (or anyone who needs to lose weight, really). They know we can lose focus, they know we can get discouraged if we don't see success, and they've come up with this guideline, and I already feel like it's helping. I really do!!!

My cold is hanging on. I don't feel too crappy, but I sound terrible, and my nose is beet red what with all the blowing and stuff.

This weekend was my 25th high school reunion. I didn't go, but my friend T did (egged on by a former classmate and by the fact that it was a multi-year reunion, and her parents would be there celebrating their 50th, and her uncle would be there celebrating his 40th) and I made sure she told me everything. Not that there's much to tell, and not that I cared a whole lot, but that sort of opportunity doesn't offer itself every day, where you can essentially be a fly on the wall. Our class was the least represented (even compared to the 50 year one, where we and her parents figured a large number of alums would have died already), which doesn't surprise me because my class was notorious for their lack of school spirit. Maybe we were ushering in Generation X?

They had been touting a DVD that was for sale that featured highlights of our years at Pius set to a rockin' 80s soundtrack. I hadn't really intended on buying one, but similar to my interest in what my classmates might be up to, I was curious as to what it was all about. It turns out it's just a video of someone flipping pages through our senior yearbook set to 80s music. I've still got my yearbook, I can do that myself!

I tell you, that's a true friend who will attend a reunion she really doesn't want to go to, not ask you to join her, AND tell you all the details you missed out on.

So, another week is here. And I'm doing well on my program today, and for that I'm grateful.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I hope you are doing well, I know I let my self slip and here I am, back at square one, well actually worse! Call it creeping compromise, lying to myself, whatever, it's easy to drift backwards, very easy.... Keep focused like you said, we all go through these hard times, that's when it's time to work your hardest. I know.... because I didn't and I don't want you to do the same thing.
I also want to say it was soooooooo GREAT to see you again, love gabbing to you!! And by saying it was great to see you I must say you also look GREAT!!