Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Feels like a Monday

Hey Amigos,

What a weekend. Saturday I got up early and went a couple blocks down to catch the beginning of the Harley parade. We stayed for the whole thing. I can't explain why it's fun, it just is. We stood in the sun the whole time, but it wasn't too bad, and I'd put on some sunscreen (though not in all the right places). Then I kind of vegged for the rest of the day. I had grandiose plans of getting caught up around the house but that didn't happen.

That night my sister called me to tell me that Barack Obama was coming in to town and would be speaking at Labor Fest. So the next morning I got up, went out for breakfast, and went straight to the nearest campaign office and stood in line to get tickets. Again I was out standing in the sun. It was really warm, so my friend T held our spots while I stood in the shade until just about time to get the tickets. The line was SO long, it stretched down the entire length of an alley and beyond.

Then I had to spend 4 hours at the adoption center. It wasn't too bad, except for a guy who really annoyed me. When I told him not to pet the cats, he gave me the incredibly old and never funny or cute response "They were touching me." I didn't react. Then he said "They were touching ME, there's nothing I can do about that."

Huh? And...how old are you? First of all, the response is incredibly childish, and secondly, what the hell do you mean there's nothing you can do about that? Just stand back a couple inches. Problem solved.

Then he gave me the old "Those are the cats I want" like I'm just going to hand them over. I thought, but didn't say "And people in hell want ice water."

It's hard to maintain my sunny demeanor when I hear the "they're touching me" line 5,000 times, but I managed.

Yesterday I went to see Barack Obama. His speech was quite short, what with hurricane Gustav bearing down on Louisiana and its environs. But it was exhilirating nonetheless. A huge crowd, a very electric atmosphere. I love Obama. He had me at hello. :)

Nothing overly witty or insightful to share with you today. I managed to stay OP this weekend. As you lose weight they take points away from you, so I've been dipping into my weekly points more than I usually do, but that's to be expected. I was quite active, and really did manage to eat pretty well. At the Obama thing(gates opened at 2:00, and he didn't come on until 6) I had water, and a big soft pretzel smothered in mustard (one of my favorite things) and some red licorice. I'm kind of glad that my labor day ended up like this. I didn't have to contend with any barbecue, or fancy desserts or family strife, so I came out relatively unscathed.

Bully!

1 comment:

Mary said...

It was all great until I read the pretzel and mustard thing.... :)Sounds like you had a great weekend!!;)