Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Funny stuff that's happened to me

Hola Amigos,

I was thinking about something that happened to me when I was in college and I started laughing out loud. So I thought, what the heck, if my blog is going to be about something it may as well be about funny stuff that's happened to me (and I've had a lot of funny stuff happen to me; I'm a magnet).

My senior year in college I was taking a relatively blow-off philosophy class. The professor was nothing short of a legend on campus. Dr. Robb. He was a WWII veteran, spoke several languages, was a gourmet chef and was much loved by many. By the time I had him he'd had a couple of strokes and used to cry in class regularly. He was always emotional but he got moreso after the strokes. Anyway, he was a very gifted, enlightened man, but he wasn't a very difficult professor. And way back in the stone age when I was in college some profs would accept hand written papers. Not many, but some. Dr. Robb was one of those profs. And usually papers for him were not research or analytical or anything, but more casual.

On another note, at the time I was taking this class my roommate was dating a particularly unsavory person. I shudder even thinking about the guy, and what she saw in him I'll never know. But my friend Bill and I unfortunately had to spend a night with him and her in his trailer (he lived in a trailer park in Indiana) and it was one of the most horrible experiences of my life, and we knew much more about this man than we ever cared to. He was just scummy, and he was one of these people that had all these disgusting phrases for women's body parts that I think he thought were sexy (see, Laura, my roommate, would spare us no details).

Bottom line, Bill and I were quite contemptuous of this person and just thought he was disgusting.

So I had this paper that I'd written for Dr. Robb's class. Bill and I were both English majors and I gave it to him to proofread for me while we were at lunch. He was being silly and brought out his pencil and was making all these marks (fascetiously, like I'd made a ton of mistakes). He handed it back to me, and he made a 'correction' that was particularly funny. I'd written something along the lines of 'I was experiencing a lot of pain in my life' or something like that. Bill had crossed off 'life' and written 'love hole.' This was a favorite phrase of the slime ball my roommate was dating. It was so flipping funny!!! So I went through and read his edits and laughed my ass off and we just had a generally good time.

A couple weeks later we're at lunch again and I looked at Bill and it hit me. I'd not erased any of the 'edits' he'd made on my paper. I'd turned in a paper to my philosophy professor that read "I was experiencing a lot of pain in my love hole." Before I could even get the words out to tell him, I started laughing. And I couldn't stop. And then I started crying because I was laughing so hard. When I finally was able to get the words out, HE started laughing until he cried.

I decided to just let the chips fall where they may rather than approach Dr. Robb about it. When he handed the papers back he hadn't commented on it or anything. I'm assuming a couple things. Since he was older, maybe his eyesight wasn't so hot, and Bill had written this in pencil, and rather lightly at that, so maybe he missed it. Or he didn't read the paper. Or he read it and thought someone played a joke on him. Or he just thought I was a pervert. I really don't know. But I got the paper back, and the note Bill had written was still there.

Poor Dr. Robb. Sophomore year I took a class of his and handed in a paper that I'd titled "The Fuction of a Philosopher." When I'd gotten it back he'd pencilled in a tiny 'n' after the u. I think this was just a harbinger of what was to happen my senior year.

No comments: