Thursday, February 28, 2008

Straight to hell...

Did you ever get the feeling that you're going straight to hell? No passing go, no collecting $200, no wings, no harp, no nothing. You're just on the fast track to Hades.

I feel that way sometimes.

Like today. I received a 'heads up' call from a coworker that I would be hearing shortly from a professor who needs some work done. Just the mention of his name sent chills down my spine, as it does for virtually anyone around here. To put it delicately, the guy's a ball breaker. And he's untouchable too. I mean, he's an excellent prof, he deserves to be here, but working with him is a whole other story.

So I pulled out my defenses and called someone I know who works with him a lot to get some pointers. I'd dealt with him before (it wasn't too bad, but it certainly was no picnic either) but it's been many years, and I needed advice and support. Along the way we each made some comments about what a hardass he is and how I'm dreading talking to him and just generally venting.

So shortly afterward I get a call from him, and in the course of our conversation he tells me how much he enjoyed working with me in the past and he was very happy to be working with me again.

Now my friends tell me to not let that fool me, that there's a viper beneath those words. But I couldn't help but feel guilty and sorry that I'd said some pretty mean things. I had no idea that he actually enjoyed working with me, and I really did feel bad about what I'd done.

OK, so maybe that's not enough to make me go to hell, but if you do that often enough maybe THAT'S enough to make you go to hell.

Actually, I don't even believe in hell, but being raised Catholic, even if you don't believe it, you still fear it!!!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Hey Leslie!!
If you are going over that then I am way going. See you there??;) J/K!! I've done that way to many times, I mean say things I shouldn't have. Not a good quality of mine for sure. Anyway, from what I know of you I'm sure you will be going straight up.;)