Thursday, February 21, 2008

My Oscar Predictions, So Far

Hola Amigos,

The ballot isn't due until tomorrow, but I've made some good headway in my Oscar predictions for my annual pool. I reserve the right to change my mind, but here are my predictions for the biggies.

Best Picture: Well, this is tough, but I'm currently going with No Country for Old Men. To me it comes down to this, or There Will Be Blood. Truly a tough call because they are both brilliant. But I think that NCFOM is going to win.

Best Director: I'm going with Joel and Ethan Coen for No Country for Old Men.Another tough call, because PT Anderson directed TWBB and it's incredible. But these are the Coen Brothers we're talking about. I think their time has come.

Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis. If he doesn't win I'll eat a bug.

Best Actress:Not as much of a lock as Best Actor, but I'll say Julie Christie.

Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem. Duh.

Best Supporting Actress: I really haven't a clue in this category, and the only nominee I've seen is Tilda Swinton in Michael Clayton (and she turned in the best performance in the film, hands down). However, the buzz seems to be all about Cate Blanchett and since I'm in it to win it I'm choosing her.

Best Screenplay, Adapted: This is a tough one for me. I had to rely on some savvy internet snooping to see what critics and those in the know think. They think No Country for Old Men is the frontrunner, and I'm inclined to agree.

Best Screenplay, Original: I understand that Juno is really heading up this bunch, and I also understand that it's really clever, so I've chosen it. I did see Michael Clayton and it was a very good story, but I don't think it's going to win.

Animated Feature: I still have nightmares of the year I saw 2 of the animated films nominated for the year (Finding Nemo and Triplets of Belleville) and went with the underdog thinking it stood a chance (I think we all know which of these 2 is the underdog) and I lost it all. Literally if I'd won that category I would have taken the prize. So ever since then I've played this category nice and safe. Everyone thinks Ratatouille is going to win. Therefore I think Ratatouille is going to win. Does it deserve it? I don't know, I never saw it. But I need the points.

So, there they are, my predictions for the biggies. I will probably list the others just for posterity's sake at some point. And of course I'll report back on how well or poorly I do. I actually won some money last year. The same group of people do this every year, and for a while there was a particular couple who kept winning, and I don't really care for them much. A lot of my motivation to succeed is to prevent them from winning. All in all I'm pretty damn serious about this. Wish me luck.