Friday, February 1, 2008

Worst pain EVER

Hola Amigos,

Maybe not the worst, actually, but it was pretty damn bad. It ranks right up there.

The cortisone shot hurt like a bugger, much more than i expected. My friend T had gotten a cortisone shot in her shoulder, and she told me it was pretty painful. So I mentioned that to my doctor before getting the shot. He said, "The shoulder is typically less painful than the knee." Not what I wanted to hear...That was my first hint that things were not quite going my way. So first he numbed the knee up a bit which wasn't too bad and it worked quickly. So then he starts with the injection. First bit seems fine, and then suddenly it felt like he'd inserted a flaming screwdriver in the side of my knee and was moving the bones around from the inside. That's the only way i can describe it. It just radiated, like he'd hit a nerve. I actually cried out, and grabbed the poor guy's lab coat. He ended up making some adjustments and finished the shot, but I tell you, that was a rough few minutes. I felt sort of bad about crying out. I don't know, there are lots of reasons behind that. My main concern is that if people are waiting to get to see him, they don't want to hear that. I'm sure he was OK with it, and the assistant. I didn't want to be a wuss either. But I guess I am. Part of that is that as I've gotten older I've become much more open with my physicians, so there's a barrier that used to be there that isn't anymore, for better or worse. And I think I'm probably much less tolerant of pain than I used to be!

Anyway, it's over and I'll know soon if it works. If it does, it means that I didn't tear my meniscus. If it doesn't, then it's surgery for me!

So i didn't go back to work afterward. He suggested I just take it easy the rest of the afternoon, so I called my boss and told her all about it. I got home and took the dogs out while I got the mail. Stella crapped and I didn't pick it up right away, just because I was hurting and I didn't have a bag. I saw my tenant a little while later cursing about it (he didn't know I saw him). I felt kind of bad. I mean, it's a lot of crap to keep up with and I know I'm not perfect about it, so I have to cut the guy some slack for putting up with it. Of course, he only came here to get his mail and still hasn't opened up the end of the driveway or done the front walk, and if he doesn't come back then I can't reach him and I'll end up doing it myself tomorrow. I know, second time today I discussed this. I'll drop it. It's just chapping me right now.

I just finished watching Jaws. I was 10 years old when it came out and I remember it so well. Things at the movies were quite a bit different back then. There were no dvds or videos or cable, and it could be a very long time before a movie showed up on tv (there were only 3 networks, you see, and getting movies was expensive to them no doubt) so the theater was the place to be. It opened and it was all anyone was talking about. And back then they'd tell you how long a movie had been at a particular theater (15th straight week! it would say, or held over). And this is where blockbusters came from, too. I'll never forget, a bunch of us went. It was me and a neighbor friend of mine, my sister and a few of her friends. I'm pretty sure my folks took us, dropped the whole bunch of us off at the theater. I don't remember the theater, but I remember the movie. It was so thrilling to be there, to be seeing it! And it was so, so scary. You could feel the tension in the theater from the get go. Some of those scares pack a wallop you know??? People were screaming, our friend Suzy essentially cowered on the floor of the theater, there was popcorn flying, people leaving. It was a free for all. And it's no wonder. I was just a little kid so I just saw it as super scary. But it's just brilliantly made, everything about it. It's 33 years old and it's aged perfectly. The music is great, the humor, the terror, all of it. And think about this. Spielberg was what, 24? HOW does a 24 year old do that?

Anyway, I'm doubly excited because Turner Classic Movies has started their road to the Oscars thing, where I believe they're showing all award winners. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll all be good. I'm sure some really crappy movies have won awards for, I don't know, sound editing.

"Jeez, that movie was a piece of crap."
"Yeah, but it sounded great."

You see, I'm just a movie girl. Love them, always have. So anyway, Jaws was my official kick off to the TCM oscars bonanza, and I couldn't be happier.

I'm part of an Oscar pool at work. I will post my choices here, and we'll see how well I do compared to the academy. I'm really relishing the fact that there may not be much of a ceremony. I'm so tired of those bloated ceremonies. Why does it have to be that the presenters have to walk that ridiculous length to get to the podium? that probably adds hours! I always wanted someone to just get up there and read them off. I know, it's tradition, blah blah, and I always end up watching it anyway (I've tried, I can't resist; I don't necessarily leave it on for all the crap, but I do see most of it). but come on, all i really want to know is who the eff won!

More oscar stuff to come people. :)

No comments: