Monday, February 11, 2008

Short week

Hola Amigos,

So on Wednesday I go in for arthroscopic surgery on my knee. I'm not too worked up about it. I get to take off 3 days of work, too, so that's nice. The doc still isn't 100% what he's going to find in there, so I'm hoping that it's relatively simple. I do feel confident about having it done. Being the stubborn person that I am, I actually thought at certain points this weekend that it wasn't that bad and that maybe the cortisone would take care of it. But then this morning I was tooling around and walking in to work and I knew I'd been kidding myself. The problem is still there, it hurts like bugger, and I can't take the stairs other than one at a time. That's no way to be!

My mother is taking me in for the surgery, where she'll wait and then take me back home. This is getting to be a bit of a problem, because she's so worried that it's going to snow. I can't fault her, and the woman is almost 76 years old and she has every right to tell me to go to hell. Is this is where people's spouses jump in and take them? I mean, I'm 42, and I have to have my mom take me to surgery? Doesn't that seem weird? Anyway, she wants me to have a back up so I guess I'll call one of my brothers. That's almost more depressing than having my mother take me.

Depressing. Hm... Am I depressed? I don't know if I am, but I'm in a mood, that's for damn sure. I was going to come in to work this weekend, since I'll be out Weds-Friday and I thought it might be nice to catch up. But it was so flipping cold yesterday I just didn't feel like it. So I figured I'd kick out the jams today, but uhhh...that's not working so much. I'm sort of not doing much of anything. And now I'm blogging on top of that. And I'm getting surlier by the minute.

I had an OK weekend. Got some stuff done around the house, and I watched a couple movies. One was Fitzcarraldo. It's a Werner Herzog movie about a man who wants to move a steamboat over a mountain in Peru. Then I watched Burden of Dreams, which is a documentary about the making of Fitzcarraldo, and is essentially about a filmmaker who wants to move a steamboat over a mountain in Peru. I'm fascinated by Werner Herzog, and sort of fascinated/scared by Klaus Kinski (his frequent collaborator) so this was extra interesting. I also watched Female Trouble, which is a John Waters movie. I have no idea why I like it so much, but it just cracks me up. Divine is in it, and s/he's wonderful. My favorite part is the Christmas morning scene, she's been asking her parents for a pair of cha-cha heels, but they buy her loafers, and she commences to beat them up and throws the Christmas tree on her mother. I like it more than Pink Flamingos (which is sort of relative, because I can't say I really LIKE Pink Flamingos, it's more like a train wreck). I also went to see There Will Be Blood, again. Totally worth it! I can't remember the last time I saw a movie twice in the theaters, but I just had to see it again. For a 2 1/2 hour movie, it sure doesn't seem long.

I'd better snap out of it and get some work done here.

No comments: