Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Busy weekend!

Hola Amigos,

I haven't posted in nearly a week. Sorry about that. I have been insanely busy and it sort of slipped right out of my mind.

I went to the fair again, for a total of 3 visits this year. Each one was different and each one was fun. I always have a sense of melancholy when it closes. Not that I think it should go longer, but it's sort of an end of summer thing, and I hate coming to the end of summer.

I was at the fair on Friday, went to a party on Saturday and did an event for the adoption center on Sunday. So I was quite busy this entire weekend. Didn't do so great on WW. I didn't do horribly, but I wouldn't say I've been 'on program.'

I don't feel totally lost about it, though. I didn't revert to my worst behaviors, those being buying donuts for breakfast, buying coffee instead of making it at home, buying deli food for dinner, having drive through, snacking all day long.

No, I didn't do anything like that. I just ate too much. So I'm preparing myself for a gain tomorrow. It's OK. I know what I did wrong and I know how to make it right again. It's the unexpected gain that gets me, and I hope not to see one of those again for a while.

I discontinued my membership with match.com yesterday. It has nothing to do with the fellow I've been seeing (and we're still seeing each other). It has to do with the matches they keep sending me, or that keep showing up in my searches (no matter what parameters I use for the search). I'd say a good 98% of the matches that I get are not looking for women with my body type. They don't give us that many options to describe body type, and I'm not even sure which one applies to me anyway. A few extra pounds? Curvy? BBW? All I know is that the vast majority of guys who show up in my searches are not looking for any of those types. They're almost always looking for someone who is 'athletic and toned' or 'slender.' I could never, ever be mistaken for either of those body types.

I've contacted the people at match.com several times about this issue. They seem to think it's not a big deal. Well, it is a big deal. And you can talk to me about this until you're blue in the face and you won't change the way I feel about it. Guys who are looking for a slender or toned woman are not going to want to waste their time on a large woman. And frankly, I can't blame them. I do wish more men wouldn't be so hung up on a girl's size (in the same way that I'm not; my criteria for guys is any body type; it's just not that important to me) It's not what they're looking for, and it's one of those things that isn't easy to budge on, but at least they're being up front and honest about it. Hair color isn't that huge of a deal, I'm sure, or eye color, height, etc. People make compromises. But body weight just isn't that way. Or maybe it is, for some guys, but not so many that it would be worth my while to contact all these supposed matches to find out who is willing to give me a chance.

No matter how you look at it, the odds of it being successful are slim, and I worry enough about rejection to deal with having it essentially built in to my matches.

It's OK. I don't really care very much at all, frankly. I'm seeing someone so I wasn't looking anyway, and if things don't work out I know that I'm not interested in finding someone else. I've got other things to concentrate on.

Match.com assured me that someone would be in touch with me regarding my issues. I haven't heard from anyone. So, I sent them another email and told them that if they can't see my points and find some validity in my suggestion, maybe they're not the right place for me.

Now the bad thing is that while I cancelled my membership, I'm paid up until the end of the year (no refunds after the first 3 days or something). So it's just sitting there. I'll probably check back occasionally to see if they maybe updated something so I can tailor my searches to match me better. But right now I'm not investing any more time in it than I already have.

I'd say that's about all that's going on with me lately. Oh, I've been staying up WAY too late to watch the Olympics. Drat these time zones. I've been dvr'ing some of it, but there's so much coverage and so many great events that I can see live. So right now I'm literally fighting off a nap!

How about that Michael Phelps!? Wow. My favorite sport, I think, is diving. I'm not wholly into synchronized diving. I watch it, but I think it's odd. I surely do enjoy the individual dives though. I like rowing too. Ooo, and equestrian!!!

I'm off to catch 40 winks. I'll be sure to let you know how my weigh in turns out tomorrow. No matter what, I'm going to my meeting, and I'll take my lumps.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Slipped your mind huh.... well I never!!!;) You are so right about the match.com thing, for one, you should be able to describe yourself better because I know that for some or for many I should say weight is such an issue and why waste your time?? Now don't take me wrong about this but I hear ya! But if you are seriously looking then you want to be upfrong about things I would think. I think 98% of the world (including myself at times) is so judgemental over looks sadly, they don't know what they are missing passing people by.
Oh ya.... thank for all the stuff you wrote on the state fair, makes me want to make an effort to get there next year. Could you remind me about it??;)
Honestly if you gained sometimes I do think that is A-OK, first of all because you have a great mindset about it and hey, I just think it's normal to blow it a little occassionally. I mean, no big deal, gotta live a little more sometimes and then stick with it better. Like I should talk since I'm not dieting and should but I think you are doing so terrific and you will continue.
Phelps is amazing.... augh, to be in that kind of shape blows my mind!!
Better get back to my steamcleaning.... usually it's due to dog related issues but this time my Grandson sure is good at getting it dirty too!!