Friday, August 22, 2008

The state I'm in

Jeez, a week without a blog! Honestly amigos, it's strictly because I've been absolutely swamped at work and I'm swamped at work because one of my students came back for the last week of summer vacation. All my students are great, but this one is a freak of nature. Better than good, so far beyond competent there aren't words. So what did the Margin Walker do this whole week? Tried desperately to keep all of my students happy and busy, and it's kicked my everloving behind.

But it's all good.

Classes start on Monday. You'd think I'd be immune to it now, but it is an event that always gets me wound up, in many ways, most of which aren't good. Everything gets crowded, it's harder to park, it's harder to get around. And it makes me realize just how long it's been since I was in their shoes. That's the problem with working at your alma mater, amigos.

But there's another part of me that loves it. Don't hate me, but I always loved going back to school (that is, once I hit high school and even more when I got to college; grade school, which I despised, not so much). Seeing all my friends, getting back into the books, the camaraderie of the classroom. And I truly love working at an academic institution. I'll take that over a business any day of the week. Here we're just trying to get the knowledge out there. There's no money involved, just learning.

Of course, it's nothing you'll ever get rich doing. Wouldn't it figure, my two favorite things, education and animal rescue, are not the cash cows you may have been led to believe!

Weigh in was good yesterday, amigos, quite good. Scale is moving in the right direction, and it took a nice hop on its way down.

My weekend is going to be a very, very busy one (which is enough to drive me crazy; I come to work on Mondays feeling like they never even happened). Why, you ask? Well, I'll tell you, in two words: Rummage sale.

That's right. My friends convinced me (against my seemingly better judgment) to host a rummage sale. See, I live in a better neighborhood than either of them. Not that my neighborhood is any great shakes, but it's extremely close to Wauwatosa, and one of the benefits is that I can sort of ride on their coattails.

So, it'll be 4 people altogether: Me, my friend T, and my other friend T and his girlfriend G. I advertised it (on craigslist) as a 3 Family Rummage. So I guess I'm a family now. I'm completely and utterly unprepared. No lie. I've done nothing. So what does that mean? That means that tonight I'll be going through 11 years worth of things, figuring out what I'd like to throw away, and instead of throwing it away, slapping a price tag on it and putting it in my driveway.

To add to everything else, 2 of my best friends are having a housewarming (or as my friend, yet another T calls it, a 'house chillin') and I've got to figure out how on earth I'm going to swing getting there (because I really want to) and run a rummage.

And, this is going to be a family weekend, too. It's been a couple weeks since I saw my mom, and I can guarantee you that if I don't see her this weekend, well... I'm not going there. Trust me, it's in my best interest (and frankly EVERYONE'S best interest) that I see her.

So, I'm about ready to hit the road here, head home and start sorting. Here's what I have so far (at least, in the virtual rummage sale in my head; I've not actually done anything). A 19" Zenith television with no remote; a 3 tiered bookcase that I got from Target and never put together; a vaporiser (and filters!); a NordicTrack (if I'm not too embarrassed to put it out there); some cds I never listen to and dvds I never watch.

Tempting, ain't it?

2 comments:

Mary said...

What can I say but... YOU are AWESOME!!!!! CONGRATS on the nice weight loss, your are just doing soooo fantastic!! Good luck with the rummage sale too, I'm doing one in a few weeks with my sister and I know they can be fun and a pain at the same time. If you were closer I'd come and say hi and buy a few things.;) Hope you went to see your mom!!;) Mine thinks I'm dead if I don't come often enough!

Alabaster Mom said...

If you find an unfilled calendar order while you are cleaning out the junk in your house, I will kick your ass. Just thought I would let you know.