Monday, August 25, 2008

Rummage Report

Hey Amigos,

Made it through another weekend. The rummage sale was a resounding success. Of course, this all depends on your definition of success in the world of rummages. Success for me means I got rid of some stuff, made some money and was never frightened or overly annoyed by any visitors. Frankly, some of them were downright adorable and so sweet. And I got to spend quality time with some of my favorite people who were a part of the whole sale (we figured, the more people the more stuff, the more stuff the larger the crowd).

So, it was good. Better than good. Yet another fun thing I was able to do this summer.

The weather started out kind of badly on Saturday, with a couple sudden thunderstorms. But truly interested people do not let something like that get in the way of a bargain.

I also went to see a movie with my mom this weekend, Vicki Cristina Barcelona. The wonderful Javier Bardem was in it (which I'm pretty sure is the reason my mom suggested it in the first place--the woman has taste). I wasn't entirely into it, and neither was she. The settings were gorgeous, and it had some of the astute observations you expect from Woody Allen. I think my big issue was that most of the reviews I read had been stellar, so I was waiting to be impressed. This may be one of those 'the whole isn't equal to the sum of the parts' thing. There was a lot to like about it, but bringing it together didn't really happen, at least for us.

We had dinner after the movie. We couldn't make up our minds where to go, and I'm a bit fussy seeing as I don't want too much conflict with WW. We ended up at the Chancery where I had the open faced tilapia tacos. The combination of things they put on there was quite tasty, and it came with some yummy black beans and a side of wild rice. But there were for sure things on there I probably should have steered clear of, and I cleaned my plate, so I wouldn't say I did the best job. It probably didn't help that I met my friends bright and early that morning for breakfast at Heinemann's, and while I tried to keep it reasonable, I just don't think there's anything you can do to hash browns to make them healthy other than not eating them.

So, when I got home that evening I took both dogs out for a walk independently. I can walk them both, but I really need a couple more arms and maybe another leg or 2 to make that an actually enjoyable experience. But I wanted to get moving because I'd been so generous with myself food-wise. Stella and I went south, Ravi and I went north. By the time Ravi and I were heading in the door it was nearly dark outside. I love walking that time of night (though it's probably not necessarily the safest time, although I doubt anyone would mess with me when I have Ravi with me unless they were well armed, which they probably would be). The greatest thing about being out then is that the bats start coming out. I love watching them up there doing their job of picking bugs right out of the air. Occasionally they'll run into one another (not literally, just get into each other's business I guess) and you'll hear this 'tst! tst! tst!' that's very cool.

So, while I did take some liberties in the area of consumption, I was not inactive, far from it actually, so all is not lost.

Classes start today. I've made sure to get in 2 walks (if you walk all the way around campus you can almost get a good mile in), but only after the change of classes. I know they're my bread and butter, but I don't want them crawling all over the place when I'm just trying to get a little decent exercise.

Well, that's about all she wrote. I did want to mention this, however. I need to make a conscious effort to eat better on the weekends. I think I'm giving myself too much leeway, and while I haven't noticed it at the scale yet, and maybe I won't for a long time, if I keep it up unchecked, I will get into trouble.

If I think I can get away with it, I'll try more and more things until I'm right back where I started and wondering how I got there.

There is one thing I know for certain. I can't start this process over. I can't even let myself think about it, it's just too overwhelming. So I'm telling you all here and now, I'm going to do better on weekends. I'm going to be more serious and more honest about what it is I do on the weekends. Weekends are not a free pass!!!

No comments: