Friday, August 15, 2008

Results

Hola Amigos,

Well, after my week of debauchery, I still posted a loss! .4 lbs. I know, it's not even a 1/2 pound, but frankly, I couldn't be happier, because I was able to contain myself, ramp up my exercise and account for some overeating on my part.

The best part is, there should be no stumbling blocks for me this week. No birthdays. No state fair. I am going out with one of my New York friends who's in town visiting family, but he and I tend to be very active when we're together. I'm not worried about food when I'm with him. Then on Sunday I'll probably be going to breakfast with my usual crowd, but I can plan for that. I figure I can ride out those 2 things in my schedule, and follow the plan faithfully for the week, and hopefully knock one out of the park at the next weigh in.

So, all is well!

I have to say that this WW plan is pretty smart. I'm losing, but I rarely feel deprived. The online tools make it so easy to track what I'm eating. And the whole thing with earning activity points for exercise is nothing short of brilliant. You are actively rewarded for getting out and moving, rather than just having a plan tell you how important exercise is.

The meeting last night was about the history of weight watchers and how the plan used to be compared to how it is today. I came to the conclusion that the part of the plan that works has stayed the same. The group dynamic is probably one of the most important things about the whole plan. And they have been constantly working on the meal plans since they started.

We had some good laughs over that. I guess years ago it was required that you eat liver once a week. And you had to bake it. It makes me gag just thinking about it. Back in the day I would eat liver, but rarely and only when eating out. I'm one of those weird people who likes liver. Though I'd never dream of making it.

It's amazing how things have changed. I can remember the very first program I ever joined, the now defunct Diet Workshop. The first week, the intro to the plan, consisted of 750 calories per day. I remember feeling like I was starving. But I stuck with it and lost 10 lbs in one week. And I thought that was great. And there was so much I couldn't have, and so little I could. I remember eating iceberg lettuce and imitation crab legs and little else. I wouldn't last 5 minutes on a plan like that today.

That's what works with WW. Nothing is off limits. It's built so that you have enough food, but not so much that you won't lose. You have room to indulge yourself because you are given extra points for the week that you can use any way you want. And you earn points by exercising. I've said this before, but it's brilliant.

So, here's to next weigh in!!!

No comments: