Monday, July 21, 2008

LDL Blues

So, I had my physical on Friday. I thought my doctor was going to plotz when he found out about my weight loss. His assistant was high fiving me, and when doc came into the examination room he wandered around a bit saying that he could hear me but couldn't see me. :) He's a funny guy, my doc.

So, I'm healthy except for one big but. My LDL cholesterol is too high. I didn't even remotely think my cholesterol would be an issue because I've been eating so much better and have lost so much weight. But, alas, I was wrong. Now, I can't say this for certain, but I'm pretty sure part of the problem is the WW and Lean Cuisine frozen meals I eat at every opportunity. I have tons of fresh fruit and veg in my diet, but those entrees man, so easy to heat up, and they taste so good. And they're loaded with preservatives. And the WW treats, well, I've probably been eating way too many of those too. I'm not blaming WW. I was taking an easy way for now, and while it's helped with my weight loss it's obviously taken its toll on my insides.

I had never planned to make the treats and frozen dinners a permanent part of this program. What it did was make the transition to the WW way of living easier on me. I could heat up a good tasting dinner, and have a couple of sweets or ice creams and would still be on the program. But, my body is telling me to move on, so I will.

Tonight when I get home I'm going to make a whole new grocery list. Nothing is going to be so earth shattering, but I'm afraid I've got to give the dinners and frozens the old heave-ho.

Sorry guys, but we knew this day would come.

I ate too much this weekend. I had a 'binge' mentality going on and overate all the bad things I discussed above. It will probably show up on my weigh in, but I'll be prepared. It was silly and I didn't have to do it, but my old habits started rearing up and I fed them. I'm definitely regretting it today, but do not see a reason to continue it. If I do I will no doubt end up exactly where I started or worse.

It's weird that even with the success as I've been having my grasp is as tenuous as it ever was. The cravings, the sensations and the desire to overeat are all there. It's a battle that I have to fight every day amigos. I'll never be safe. I don't get discouraged when I say that. It just means that I must remain diligent. Be on my toes and pay attention to what I'm doing and eating, and stopping myself before it starts. So I don't mind when I say it's a lifelong battle. It just gives me that much more of a reason to stick with it, because I know darned good and well what will happen to me if I don't.

So, my diet is going to be changing over the next few weeks. I am going to be retested in 3 months, and dagnabbit I'm going to bring that number down. I do not want to be on medication for my cholesterol!!!

It was nice to have the day off on Friday. I sort of lollygagged after my physical. I took a nap in there somewhere, did some other stuff. Saturday was my adoption center day. And then I went to the gym for a swim and hot tub extravaganza. I did great on the swim. I've never taken lessons so I just sort of flail my way back and forth from one end to the other, but my heart rate gets going. And after spending four hours with John Q Public nothing feels quite so wonderful as a long soak in a hot tub. So worth it.

So, here I am, back at my job struggling to stay awake and trying very hard not to think about food too much. I'll keep you all posted on my progress with the cholesterol.

No comments: