Wednesday, July 2, 2008

this bugs me

I tried this post like 3 times today, just can't get it off the ground. But this incident irked me enough that I think this time it might work.

I read a profile in match.com where the guy said, and I quote "If you are more than 5 or 10 pounds overweight, don't contact me."

So, yeah, this guy's a prize.

Before you go saying this or that about how we all have criteria like that, etc., don't sweat it, because I agree with you. The difference is, I don't go around TELLING people that, and putting it on a public profile for everyone to see. There are places for you to put your criteria that should weed out the folks that don't match up with what you're looking for that will spare people from knowing what they are. And if you're so concerned that there are fat women out there yanking your chain, you need to have a little more faith in people. Or enough self awareness to realize that any woman in their right mind, fat or otherwise, wouldn't give you the time of day if you are willing to let 5 pounds (5 lousy pounds) make or break a deal.

It's a sensitive subject with me, I'll admit. But usually in the whole dating scene it doesn't bug me much. What bugs me is how this guy ended up in one of my searches in the first place. Nothing breaks a deal for someone like weight does. You lie a little bit about your age? No biggie. Or your hair color? Or height? Meh. But to deceive someone regarding your weight, well.

This fellow has every right to go for what he wants. But it's a pretty darned off-putting thing to say. So if some lucky gal manages to start a relationship with this guy, what, does he dump her if they go on vacation and she packs on a few pounds? There's not much room for error with this guy.

I don't know amigos, it just got to me. But I'm not perfect either. I've got several things, some quirky likes and dislikes, that I could probably put down there. Like mustaches. I'm not a fan. But I'm not going to say "If you have a mustache, don't contact me." I mean, come on, I'm here to meet people. My profile should be nice and positive, and not dwell on what I don't want, but on what I do.

But, I've always been a glass half full kind of girl.

I don't know, I think I sort of jumped the track here. It just bugged me to see that, something so negative, and something that could be so potentially hurtful to women. We have enough problems with our body image and society that we don't need this dickweed adding to it.

I'm just sayin.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Hey Leslie!!
I honestly can't believe that guy!! I don't agree either, sure he has a right to have the perfect body I guess for his mate but if that's what's sooooo important or even if it's one of things that are important the guy is horribly cold hearted and many other things I will not mention in your blog.;) You know since I've met Rick I've been average weight, heavy, heavier, skinny, average, heavy, I think you get the picture and yet he has never said word. I'm sure a lot of jerky guys would because there are a lot of jerks out there. Maybe he knows it would really hurt, maybe he just doesn't care that much, not even sure. But I tell ya if that was something that was necessary to our relationship that I was always trim I would say see ya.... or be horrybly crushed to be sure. Now don't get me wrong, I think it's good to be healthy and have a good weight and I give people credit (including you) for losing weight. It's the hardest thing... naturally slim people don't understand, I don't know how they could is what I mean. We ALL have our issues, eating too much just happens to be one that also shows up on the outside but there's so many problems people may have that will never be seen to the naked eye. You have every right to be upset with this guy... I am too, how shallow can you get? Take care my dear!

Marginwalker said...

I'm glad to hear you say that!! Everybody's got their issues, weight just happens to be more visible than others! Some folks just aren't very forgiving of it, which is a shame, because they miss out on some wonderful people!

Alabaster Mom said...

Shit, I can gain five pounds in a weekend if I put my mind to it.

Mary said...

Well I can gain 5 lbs. in 5 hours so there!!;)