Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Da latest

Hey Amigos,

There's a little something I've kept from you, and seeing as how that's really not my style I figure it's time I 'fessed up.

I set up a personal on match.com. Yes, I did. I didn't do this out of desperation or anything. I did this out of boredom and laziness. I'm bored being single and I'm too lazy to do any of the traditional things people do to meet other people. I do enough on my own and I'm not meeting anyone, so I figured why add more to my schedule when the chances are I wouldn't meet anyone THERE either. So, yeah.

My profile is a truthful description of who I am with a relatively recent photo of myself included. Actually, it's more than relatively recent. It's like 2 weeks old. So they're seeing the real me. It's not a full body shot or anything, I'm so not ready for one of those, but they get the picture.

So, it's been 2, maybe 3 weeks. Have I been successful, you ask? In a word, nah. Not really. I'm not sure if it's me, or them, or whatever, but there's just not a whole lot going on. I perform searches, and I get matches, etc., but nothing too thrilling. Or, I contact someone and then never hear back. It's not a huge deal, but I did pay for the flipping thing so I wouldn't mind getting something for my buck. I'm keeping very close tabs on the guarantee. They give you 6 months for free if you do not make a successful match in the first 6 months. Of course I'd rather have my money back but you take what you can get. There are a few things I have to fulfill to be eligible for the guarantee. One is I have to have a photo up. Check. The next is I have to have a 'live' profile, as in, people can access it. Check. The third is I have to email at least 5 members every month. I'm up to 4. I figure I can do 5 before my month is up (they do it based on when you sign up, so I have some time).

I think if I'm not successful after 3 months, I will consider it a challenge to remain unsuccessful for the last 3, just to see if I can squeeze 6 free months out of them. We shall see.

J, my former feller of past posts (who would probably kill me if he knew I told people this but I don't particularly care and I know good and well he'll never check this blog and I'm assuming by this time he's forgotten I ever existed), had very bad luck with an online dating service. He ended up getting his money back after 12 months. I know. That should have been a clue, but I figured they must have missed something about him. Of course I found out later that in fact they DIDN'T miss anything about him and that he just happens to be a jerk.

I like to think I'm not a jerk, just misunderstood. Or unattractive. Or something, hell, I don't know what, but I sure can drive the men away!

There's been one person I've emailed back and forth with. He seems like a nice guy. Today over lunch we had an IM conversation, and set up some time to talk on the phone later this week. I'm not getting my hopes up, mostly because I am one unlucky girl.

Yeah, never had much luck in the whole thing, for a variety of reasons, none of which I will tell you about right now. Too boring or stupid. Besides, when it comes right down to it, I really don't know why things have turned out the way they have. I've done what people have said would work. "Don't look. You'll find him when you're not looking." "Put yourself out there! He can't find you if you're not out there!" (Does anyone else notice that these 2 pieces of advice contradict each other?). "Join a club/church." "Ask your friends to fix you up." And on and on.

My luck wasn't particularly good when I was at a lower weight either. It's never been good. I guess I'm just not what the fellers are looking for. I have had some loves in my life, so I know that it can work. But I haven't tried this online thing so that remains to be seen.

So, I have a phone date later this week. I'm not really holding out hope that it's going to happen to begin with. You wouldn't either if you were me! But if it does, well, great. I'll let you know.

Not much else going on amigos. I'm just incredibly happy that this is a 4 day work week! Happy 4th!

No comments: