Monday, March 17, 2008

Another weird thing...

So I have another incident to join the pantheon of crap that happens to me.

So Sunday I'm very excited because my good friend from New York and I (he's the one I house and dog sit for) had our traditional trip to Beans and Barley. He's usually here a couple times a year and we always pick one weekend day to go. Our tradition continues with a trip to Sam's Club, which is always fun. So I pick him up around 8:00 and we're off to Beans.

So we'd just ordered and were chatting when a group of people were seated at the table next to us. We watched them filter in, and bringing up the rear was an older woman, 70s probably, well dressed, walked with a cane. She walks over and starts talking to me and my friend. She started out by saying "I noticed you when you came in and I don't know if anyone has ever told you about this but there's something going around and it's important that you know about it." I soon realized that she wasn't with the group who sat down at all, but she was just striking up a conversation with us. So I did what I usually do when dealing with people who are obviously a bit 'tetched' in the head, which is nod and smile and begin the ignoring process. But she just kept talking.

She goes on to say that women who experience rapid and extreme weight gain are very much in danger of developing a problem (don't remember what she called it) that doesn't turn up in regular blood testing. She thinks it's very important that I (me personally) get tested because my regular doctor won't know about it. I have to tell you amigos, I felt a mixture of anger and shame and downright shock. I've never been quite so insulted in my entire life. So, I muster up (amid my mortification) the words "I'm quite well."

She responds "Are you?" To which I respond "Yes, I'm quite well." I got an icy glare and she turned around and left. After a little conversation along the lines of "That was really weird" and whatnot, we get back to our breakfast and conversation. About 10 or 15 minutes later, this same woman approaches our table and tells me the following: "I know you think you you're alright but it's very important that you know that the clinic where you can get tested is the XXX clinic in Mequon. You need to remember that." And she turned and walked away.

At this point I was livid. I didn't engage her at all because she was old and had a couple screws loose, but this is one of my favorite restaurants, and I'm with one of my favorite people, and this woman rudely interrupted a perfectly good meal to discuss my obvious weight problem.

So I called our server over and told her about it. I said I didn't know if she is a regular here but she interrupted our meal twice to say some very offensive things (bear in mind I've mentioned about 1/8 of the actual conversation). Anyway, she made some comment about her being a 'regular' and that it was unusual, and she told her manager. Then the manager says that this has happened with someone on the waitstaff but never with a diner. So I mention that, all mental illness aside, this shouldn't have happened to me and I wanted them to know about it so it doesn't happen to someone else.

I have no doubt that somehow this person thought she was doing me a favor. But I can't tell you how that felt, to have someone single me out and feel the need to talk to me because I'm heavy, when I'm with a friend no less. I was ashamed and embarrassed (during the second conversation she was actually talking loud enough for people to start looking up) and really, really pissed. I felt angry and hurt. And there was something so defeating about it all, especially after I've been working so hard with weight watchers. All this woman did was remind me of my situation, and I felt terrible.

I wish it made me feel better knowing that she has some issues (who knows what those issues are--she looked and dressed normally and obviously has her act together well enough to bring herself to breakfast on a regular basis), but it really doesn't. It just doesn't.

Not to worry, I haven't let it bother me a whole lot subsequently, and I really did have a great day yesterday. And today's not too shabby either. So, yeah, I'm fine. I guess maybe now I'm mostly pissed off. And sadly I'm a little hesitant to go to Beans again...

1 comment:

Mary said...

Oh wow.... I would have have to control myself in order not to slap that lady and normally I would never do that!! Being overweigh myself I think I can say I know how you feel and someone especially a stranger saying something so rude never does one good. You are right, she may have meant well, but boy, what a strange way to say something if she did. Man oh man that's just wierd!! What I hate about being heavy is it is obvious for people to see, I mean, that well.... I like to overeat and not exercise and eat for more reasons than I should. But.... others have other problems and we all know it, some are just not as easy to see to the naked eye. Wouldn't it be great if we were all perfect?? Someone acting like that is not normal either! So there!!;) Love ya from way over here!!