Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Losin' stuff

I can be a real walking disaster without even trying. A disaster to myself, not others. My sister calls this phenomenon 'pulling a Leslie.'

Case in point: Last week maybe Wednesday I left work and managed to leave my backpack on my desk. I just walked out the door with nothing but my keys. I realized this but knew I had my credit card in my pocket (don't ask me why...I don't know) so I was going to get my car, quick run to the store, get the dogs and run back to work to get my backpack, all the while praying I don't get pulled over because my license was, of course, in my backpack. So I get to the store and realize that my credit card is no longer in my pocket. And this wasn't one of those "Oh, I must have it somewhere else." No, this was "it was here a minute ago and now it's gone." So there I am in the Sentry parking lot with my thumb up my butt. Not literally.

So I turn around and go back to work and get my backpack which has cash and my ATM card. When I get home I call the credit card company and have them put a hold on the card, thinking maybe it fell out and into my car. Well, a couple days pass and no card. So I call and have them cancel it. What this means is that all the accounts I have set up and charged to my card (cable, cell phone, netflix, etc.) have to be changed to my new account number. But I won't know that account number until I get the replacement card.

I charge a lot on that card. It's a Midwest card and I get beaucoup miles, so any bill I could pay on it I do. But now, in the interim, I'm having to change these accounts to my damn debit card, which messes everything up because of when I'm used to paying my credit card and when I get paid. It's not been fun. I actually had to leave the check out aisle at the grocery store on sunday, run to their atm (which was thankfully only a few yards away), transfer some money from my savings and go back and try my debit card again. Not fun. Not fun at all.

It's like all these tiny explosions and my world has been thrown into chaos.

So what happens yesterday? I get an email from public safety. They found my card in the parking structure where it fell out of my pocket.

Sigh.

Story's not over folks. Somewhere in all this I've also lost/misplaced my work ID. In a normal world that's no biggie. But I work in a place with controlled access. I need my ID to get in every day. I need my ID if I want to use the bathroom. I need my ID to essentially go anywhere during the day. I use it several times a day. And my employer, bless them, does not look kindly on people who lose their IDs. The replacement fee is $15. So I'm biding my time hoping that it turns up. I haven't said my prayer to St. Anthony yet. He's the patron saint of lost items, and I call on him often, and he almost always comes through. But I don't like to bother him unless I'm sure, and right now I'm not quite sure I won't find it.

My problem is I have this very weird habit of putting things in strange places with the theory that since it's in someplace weird I can't possibly forget where it is. Like one time I threw a hostess party (Partylite I think). Someone from work couldn't attend so he gave me a check to place an order. I didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle so I put it somewhere for safekeeping. So party's over, she's settling her books and all, and I can't find the damn check. No idea where it was. After about 20 minutes of looking (and me being sent into a panic) she says "There's a check on top of your fridge." Sure enough, it was the check. On top of my fridge.

I'm as baffled as you are.

So I'm thinking my work ID is probably in the oven or something. I'll let you know if it turns up.

No comments: