Tuesday, March 4, 2008

St. Anthony Comes Through (again)

I want to preface this post by telling you that I'm not particularly religious. I'm not an evangelical, I'm not born again, I would never assume I'm saved while others aren't (if there is a heaven I am sure that good people, no matter what religion, have as good a chance of getting there as anyone), I have some issues with organized religion. But I have to say that there is just something about those patron saints. :) Read on to see what I mean.

So I get home bound and determined to locate my work ID. I poke through papers and move things, open drawers, check every pocket, etc. No dice. Then I remember that I haven't looked in my car. Light is quickly fading, so I grab my flashlight, which was inexplicably behind my bookcase (I told you I put things in weird places), and head out to the garage. Before I put my key in the door I say a prayer to St. Anthony. While there's probably an official prayer, I don't know it so I usually say something like "St. Anthony, I lost (insert item here) and it's important and I'm praying to you and hope you can help me find it. Thanks."

I open my car and I have a bag for any trash that I find (and I usually find plenty). I'm starting on the passenger side because that's where I toss things upon entering (purse, backpack, water bottle, etc.). So I'm tossing things in the bag I don't need and about 30 seconds in I spot the back of my ID. It was sort of sideways shoved up against the flooring, I'm not surprised I missed it these last couple days. But today was the first day I put the call out to my friend St. Anthony.

I actually gasped. I almost couldn't believe it. He's come through for me before, but this was pretty dramatic. I mean, I'd JUST 'talked' with him.

OK, call me crazy, or choose to think it's hooey, and assume that I would have found it anyway. Maybe I would have. But the fact is I DIDN'T find it until after I asked for his help.

Kinda spooky, hey?

No comments: