Tuesday, March 4, 2008

First full day!

Well, I made it through my first official day of following the WW flex plan. I have to say, it's not too shabby. I stayed under my points for the day (even after being brutally honest about what I ate, which of course is the only way to be since I'd only be lying to myself!), which I probably shouldn't have but by the time I realized I had more points to spend I was getting ready to go to bed.

In a perfect world I'd eat breakfast at home. But seeing as I find it nearly impossible to get out of bed any time before 7 I usually end up bringing something with me. Yesterday that was a whole wheat English muffin, today it was oatmeal. I make sure to have a stock fruit on hand. I'm a big fruit person. Not too big on the veggies. I love salad, but crudites and I are not on friendly terms. I tried to do the right thing and bring baby carrots to work and force myself to eat them, knowing it's something I should do. Then I realized, by process of elimination, that the carrots were what was causing this terrible afternoon heartburn and I had to give them up. If I cooked them I may not have that reaction. But deep down I'm a lazy, lazy woman and I wanted something I could grab and go. And besides baby carrots, what other veg is there? And don't say celery. Celery is the devil. I'll eat it if it has peanut butter or cream cheese on it, and in soups, but other than that I find it completely worthless. I can't eat peppers either, since they do such a number on my tum tum. I've tried, but I end up sticking with spinach salads.

Fruit on the other hand...one of the best foods around. You don't have to cook fruit. You just bring it, and eat it. Sometimes you wash it and then eat it. And it's usually quite tasty. I like most fruits but I'm a bit picky when it comes to apples. I'm partial to Granny Smith apples and am not satisfied with most others. Granny Smiths are so consistently good, but others...I have flashbacks to being in grade school and biting into a red delicious apple that's all soft and mealy and yellow and I just want to barf. And golden delicious are just that much worse. I like Macintosh but if it's soft I'll stop after one bite. Oh, I'm not crazy about pears, frankly I'll eat them, but they're not a favorite.

My weakness, and my mother's too, is nectarines. My sister actually put a moratorium on nectarine discussions between me and my mom when she is around. Seriously, we're disturbed. But honestly, when you have a good nectarine there isn't much better. I'm not a peach fan, just nectarines. I also don't like oranges. Too much work, not enough payoff.

When I'm eating right (and I can go for long stretches of eating right) I have absolutely no trouble meeting the FDA's recommended 5 a day.

So, yeah, made it through my first full day. I did have some rough moments. Isn't that sad? One lousy day and I still found my mind wandering to foods I'd like to have but know that I shouldn't. I just waited it out and it ended up being fine, but I can tell this is going to be a lot of work.

They really do have the right idea with this points business. I'm not sure if they did some psychological research and how they came up with it, but it does give you a lot of freedom and it steers you toward making good decisions regarding food choices and proportions. They're shifting the way I look at what I'm eating. So like last night, I didn't have the greatest dinner (I made quesadillas, but ate 2 servings of them, plus I splurged again and had 2 ice cream bars over the evening) but because of how I'd eaten during the day I was covered. So it was like, hey, I can have this and still be in my points range. It's not like there's anything I CAN'T have. It's just a matter of how much.

I'm really beginning to understand how this system works.

Someone here let the cat out of the bag and now everyone knows I joined the program. I kind of wish that hadn't happened. I know they didn't mean anything by it. We are like a big family here and I know that everyone will support me. Shoot, someone even sent me a link to a blog called Hungry Girl that really looks like it might be a lot of help. I guess I just wanted to keep a lid on it for a while. I've known most of these people for 20 years (not a lot of turn around here) and they have seen me get bigger and bigger. Oh, let's see, I've put on about 150 lbs since I started here. Oh my GOD how awful is that!!!!!!! So even embarking on this journey is scary.

There's a lot of fear involved with losing weight, you know? But I'm getting way ahead of myself now.

Let's just leave it as I've embarked on day 2, and we'll see where it goes.

No comments: