Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Week So Far

Well, yesterday wasn't so hot in the old eating department. I had some Girl Scout cookies delivered that I'd forgotten I'd bought and...well, I'm not going down that road to explain what I did. I'll leave that up to your imagination. All is not lost. I do still have GS cookies here, just not as many as I ordered...

I'm going to give them to one of my students. She's from Burma and is probably 1/3 my size, and college students are always poor and hungry, even the rich ones. So she can have them.

I didn't do so hot once I got home either. I had a stomach ache (see above) and didn't want to eat any of the chili I had for fear of making things worse. So I opened a can of soup and it was terrible, some Healthy Choice concoction which may or may not be healthy but was anything but choice. I did not like it one tiny bit. So then I had a few other things to supplement and had an altogether not well balanced meal. I didn't necessarily overeat, but I didn't eat well that's for sure.

So I'm thinking weigh in on Thursday won't be so hot. I know that when I put my full attention on eating right that it works, but the weekend and yesterday were all out of sorts. Not that I'd trade my Door County weekend for anything, no way.

We took a trip to a winery up there. I really do love wine, but it does such a number on my system that I refrain from drinking it. Red wine makes me flush terribly, plus my sinuses close up and I can't breathe (allergies). White wine makes me flush too, though doesn't tend to mess up my breathing or anything. But the flushing just gets progressively worse as I get older so I just avoid the stuff. Most liquor, actually. I'm a teetotaller, but not by choice.

But I figured a few tastes wouldn't hurt, and I always like what they do with the cherries up there. So I approached the tasting area where my friends were. I was not greeted by the grumpy person behind the counter who really looked like she'd have rather been anywhere other than where she was. So after a few seconds of icy stares I asked for the type of wine I wanted to taste. This must have been a bit of an inconvenience for her, poor thing. I can't describe the look on her face. It was almost like she was thinking "You'll never spend enough money in this shop to make up for the trouble you're causing me." Anyway, before she poured she made it explicitly clear that I was allowed six tastes altogether. M'kay. Then she distributed a tiny taste of dry cherry wine in my glass. It was pretty good.

What makes me chuckle is that there were probably 4 other people in the entire place besides me and my friends (there were 6 of us). So while I appreciate their rules and everything, I'm not entirely sure it was necessary to make it so clear that we were being monitored. Did she keep a running tally in her head or something? Was she worried about running out of wine? There's just no telling.

So I didn't buy any wine. I didn't want any for myself (seeing as I can't drink it) and I didn't have any gifts in mind and therefore couldn't make an appropriate choice. So I bought cherry butter (I've never seen cherry butter and I'm very excited about trying it) and cherry rhubarb butter (I've also never seen that). I absolutely love cherries, so I was quite happy. I haven't tried either yet. Just thinking about them is making me hungry.

My sissy gets back from Boston today. I'm so glad. My mother came back from her 2 week visit to her sisters' places in Texas and has been complaining ever since, and I've had no one to vent to who would understand. Yesterday she told me that she grew tired of her sister mentioning her new hair do (not my mom's but her own). See, my mother never stops talking about her hair. I honestly can't describe to you how much my mother obsesses over her hair. However she failed to see the irony, so I finally said "You talk about your hair all the time" to which she resonded "I DO NOT!" and there was a little back and forth. What it came down to was that she felt there was a distinction between her sister saying "What do you think of my hair?" and her saying "How does my hair look?" It's insanity I tells ya.

1 comment:

Alabaster Mom said...

The winery lady was a gem, wasn't she? Doling out microscopic sips of wine all day long doesn't seem like the worst job, but she sure seemed to hate it.